Curiosity Could KILL Your Aussie

 

Who would think that a potato chip or Dorito bag or a cereal box could be a killer? Yet many dogs lose their lives to these every year.
 
A curious dog will put its head in the bag or box to clean up the last crumbs and will then be unable to get the article off of its head. Once all of the oxygen in the bag is used up, the dog will smother and die. All potato chip bags and cereal boxes should be placed out of reach and when empty, cut up by scissors so they do not pose a threat. It’s a small measure to prevent a tragedy.
 
Other common household foods can cause sickness and death and are outlined below:


Raisins/Grapes

Whether your dog begs for a treat or eats the grapes or raisins off the vine, these can be deadly. Dogs could have gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after eating too many grapes or raisins.

 

 

Onions

Dogs develop hemolytic anemia (the blood cell bursts) if they eat enough onions (cooked or not). The broken blood cells then clog up in the smaller blood vessels of all the major organs and could cause death.

Chocolate

There is a chemical in chocolate called theobromine which is similar to caffeine. Different types of chocolate contain different amounts of theobromine. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. it would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10-pound dog. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate are toxic to a 20-pound dog. Easter baskets of chocolate left within range of your dog or even wrapped chocolates under the Christmas tree have been eaten by curious dogs.

Mushrooms

Depending on the type of mushroom, toxicity can occur in dogs and can cause severe liver disease and neurological disorders. The recommendation is to induce vomiting when these mushrooms are ingested and to give activated charcoal as well. Supportive treatment for liver disease may also be necessary. If any of the following treats are given, be sure that the dog is supervised at all times.

 


 

Rawhides

All types are supposedly made of digestible animal products. However, they are digested quite slowly, and if consumed rapidly, can cause either vomiting or diarrhea from the many pieces still sitting undigested in the intestine. If they are swallowed whole or in large chunks, they can cause choking, irritate the throat and esophagus, or cause a blockage which could be life-threatening. Some countries use an arsenic-based preservative in the processing of rawhide, or they can contain antibiotics, lead, or insecticides. If you do purchase these products, it is strongly recommended that only brands processed in the U.S. be used. There has also been an FDA alert about the risk of Salmonella associated with dog chew products made from pork or beef-derived materials. Refer to the FDA advisory or call 1-888-INFO-FDA (1-888-463-6332).

Greenies

The company who makes Greenies claims they are 85% digestible. Some dogs have died as a direct result of eating Greenies due to choking and blockage.

Nylabones

Nylabones can become sticky and lodge in the back of the throat, causing choking or obstruction. The clear ones usually cannot be detected upon x-ray, so your vet may not know that there is a blockage without doing exploratory surgery. They are also hard on teeth, so be certain to check the overall condition of your dog’s mouth prior to giving him anything this inflexible to chew.

Cow Hooves

Cow hooves are even more dangerous than rawhides. They are hard enough that a dog can actually break a tooth on one. They can also be chewed up into sharp fragments which may cause a partial intestinal obstruction or perforation of the intestines.
 
Pig Ears

Pig ears can cause gastrointestinal upset if overeaten, similar to the situation with rawhides, although obstructions are less common because the ears are not usually shaped into solid chunks. There have been some deaths associated with pig ears due to bacterial infection. The bacteria noticed on autopsy were Escherichia coli, common gut bacteria which, in proper balance, are essential for the digestion and absorption of nutrients in the mammalian gut. Too many E. coli or E. coli in the wrong place (like the lungs) can cause serious disease.

 

 
Other things that can be toxic to your pet, depending on the amount consumed, are:

  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Antifreeze
  • Aspirin
  • Avocado
  • Coffee (all forms)
  • Fatty foods
  • Fish-raw fish found in nature in the Pacific NW can cause Salmon poisoning
  • Garlic-a member of the onion family
  • Insecticide-can be placed on the dog, walked through in the home and yard and licked off of the paws.
  • Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin)
  • Lead
  • Macadamia Nuts
  • Moldy or spoiled foods
  • Mothballs
  • Naproxen (Aleve)
  • Onions
  • Products sweetened with xylitol
  • Psuedophedrine (Sudafed)
  • Rat Poison-contains warfarin, a potent blood thinner
  • Salt
  • Slug and Snail Poison
  • Tick Products
  • Yeast dough-can expand in the stomach and cause bloat
  • Zinc poisoning is caused by your dog eating objects such as: post 1982 pennies, hardware, nuts and bolts

    ***When in doubt, ALWAYS consult your dog’s veterinarian!

    You can download a pdf version of this document here
  •  

    We rely on the generosity of our supporters to help

    the hundreds of Australian Shepherds needing our assistance.